Top 7 Easy Vegetarian Recipes for Kids Cooking
Posted on March 22, 2019 by Early Innings
Cooking is not just an essential survival skill to acquire; it can be a creative learning experience too. Children can be initiated into this process using the following basic recipes which require minimal help from the adults.
Hung Curd Sandwich
- Curd- 100 gms
- Whole wheat bread slices
- Seasonings- Salt, pepper powder or chaat masala
- Finely chopped onions (optional)
- Finely chopped capsicum (optional)
Method: Take the curd and tie in a washed muslin/fine cotton cloth and keep aside till the water is drained off. Transfer to a bowl and add the seasonings as per taste. If desired, add finely chopped onions and capsicum pieces and mix well. Apply the spread on the bread slices. Put two slices together and apply little butter on the outer side of the sandwich. Put on a heated tawa/griddle or toaster and toast till done. If only hung curd is used, the toasting step can be skipped completely.
Cheese Chilly Toast
- Whole wheat bread slices
- Cheese cubes
- Tender green chillies- The variant with less heat
Method: Take each slice of bread, spread grated cheese on it and top with few slices of tender green chilly. Put on a heated tawa or toast in an oven till cheese melts. Serve with ketchup.
- White bread slices
- Any type of jam
- Cheese spread or cheese slice
Method: Take the slices of bread and cut off the edges. Dip the finger in water and dampen one edge of the slice, then place another slice overlapping on the edge and press till they are stuck together. Join two slices like this. Apply jam on one side of the bread slices and then place the cheese slices on them. If using cheese spread then apply spread first followed by jam on top. Gently start rolling the bread tightly from one end. Keep in fridge to cool. Use a sharp knife to cut into slices before serving or eat as it is.
Fresh Fruit Salad
- Mixed fruits as per choice and season
- Fresh cream
- Dried fruits- a small fistful
Method: Wash, peel, cut fruits in desired size and place on a plate or bowl. Put fresh cream on top of it and sprinkle dry fruit pieces on top. Preferably cool in fridge before eating.
- Boiled pasta- preferably macaroni/ penne
- Any readymade or homemade semi sweet salad dressing ( Thousand Island Sauce/ Caesar salad dressing etc)
- A bowl of mixed salad ingredients- cut in cubes ( cucumber , tomatoes/ baby tomatoes, carrot, pomegranate seeds, etc)
- Seasonings if required- Salt, pepper, oregano powder, chilli flakes.
Method: Take the boiled pasta; mix it with the salad dressing first. Add the salad ingredients and seasonings as per taste. Mix or toss. Refridgerate before eating.
- Bhel/ Chaat
- Green Channa/ Bengal gram boiled with salt (1 cup)
- Chopped Tomato- 1
- Chopped Onion- 1/2
- Chaat Masala- 1tsp
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Raw mango pieces (optional)
- Butter- 1tsp (optional)
Method: Mix all the ingredients one by one; except the mango pieces. If using butter, it should be melted before mixing. At the end sprinkle the mango pieces on top and serve. It can be served warm or chilled.
Sweet corn and Pomegranate Bhel
- Boiled sweet corn- 1 cup
- Pomegranate seeds- 1 cup
- Grated coconut- 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped Mixed dry fruits( Raisins, cashews, almonds) – 1 fistful
- Coriander leaves
- 1 Green Chilly finely chopped ( optional)
- Salt – as per requirement
Method: Mix the boiled corn, pomegranate seeds, and dry fruits with the grated coconut. Add salt as required, top with coriander leaves and green chilly.