Top 6 Winter Safety Tips for Kids
Posted on January 3, 2019 by Early Innings
Check here are some parental tips to keep your children safe this winter:
- Dress your child for the cold weather with warm and comfortable attire. When layering, the base item should be woolen to prevent moisture.
- Winter proof your child’s skin by moisturizing his/her face, hands, feet, and lips after baths and before going to bed. During the day, remember to apply sunscreen to protect the skin from harmful UV radiation.
- Minimize exposure to the cold since children are not as tolerant to extremely low temperatures as adults. Protect vulnerable parts of the body, such as ears, hands and feet from frostbite.
- Reduce the risk of catching a cold or flu by getting your child vaccinated in time. These viral infections are highly contagious during winter because people spend more time indoors. So, in addition to getting a flu shot, teach your child to cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough (with the elbow) and to wash their hands with warm water and soap regularly.
- Ensure that your child continues to drink plenty of water and soups as dehydration makes one more susceptible to a cold or flu.
- Promote a nutritious healthy diet to children that improves the body’s natural defense mechanism. A healthy winter diet should include items rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, especially fruits and vegetables.
Winter is a time to have fun, but it is important that your children enjoy themselves safely. Following these tips will ensure that they have a happy wintertime.